Visas and Temporary Residency Permit

Information on procedures for foreign students (VLS/TS, OFII).
Foreign students who wish to study in France must hold a long-stay visa “visa de long séjour valant titre de séjour” (VLS-TS) or a temporary residence permit with student status. International students must meet certain requirements for entering France.


Students must apply for a visa at the French Embassy or Consulate of his/her home country.

Students from the following countries must apply exclusively via CampusFrance during pre-enrolment at an Institute of Higher Education : Algeria, Argentina, Benin, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chili, China, Columbia, Congo Brazzaville, South Korea, The Ivory Coast, The United States of America, Gabon, Guinea, India, Japan, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mauritius, Mexico, Peru, Russia, Senegal, Syria, Taiwan, Tunisia, Turkey, Vietnam.

Candidates must apply on-line from their home country via campus France : For example, a student from Algeria must log on at :

Residents of the European Union, Andorra, Monaco, San-Marino, Switzerland and the Vatican are exonerated exempt from obtaining an extended-stay visa.

Warning ! Erasmus Students who do not have European Union citizenship must apply for a long-stay student visa. They must contact the French Consulate of their home country.

A Certificate of financial resources in the amount of approximately €615 per month (proof of a standing electronic funds transfer, scholarship or family support) is required for a visa. For more information and to submit your application for a visa, please connect to the official site :

Residence permit

Holders of a long-stay student visa with residence permit (VLS-TS) exceeding 3 months are not required to apply for a temporary residence permit during their first year in France, with the exception of Algerian and Canadian residents whose “D” Student Visa mentions “Titre de séjour à demander dès votre arrivée.” These students must apply for a temporary residence permit upon arrival in France.

When the visa is issued, the student is provided with an OFII Certificate - demande d’attestation OFII (Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration) which must be sent to the student’s local OFII office within the first 3 months upon arrival in France. The OFII will set up an appointment to take care of the registration process. This registration process is compulsory.
For more information :


The student must carry out the VISA validation procedure through the French Office of Immigration and Integration, within three months of his/her arrival in France. He can do it online at the following address :

Alternatively, the student can send the OFII certificate – demande d’attestation OFII - to the OFII department responsible for his or her place of residence (

The OFII will call the student to proceed with the registration formalities. For more details, please see our OFII information sheet in ‘Documents to download’.

This formality as well as a medical appointment are mandatory.
Appointments for medical check-up are made at the University Student Medical Service (SUMPPS) which are located at the following address :

  • On the site of La Garde : Building EVE entrance 2 from Monday to Friday 8am - 4.45pm
  • On the Toulon site : Office 011 on Tuesdays or Thursdays 8:00am-12:00pm and 12:30pm-4:30pm
The student can make an appointment for a medical check-up :
By phone at the secretariat +33 (0)4 94 14 24 89 or by mail sumpps
He will need to bring his/her vaccination card with him/her to his/her appointment